Capacity Building and Development for Ocean Sciences, Observations, and Data/Information Management
This Website is offered as a service to the community of scientists who are concerned with building capacity for ocean research, observations, and data/information management. Developed countries have well-established educational systems, but many countries in developing regions of the world are still setting up sustainable education systems. Several international organizations carry out a range of complementary capacity building and development activities and have begun to coordinate their efforts. Direct links to organizations with capacity development pages are given at the left; for those with activities in capacity development, but not specific pages, we offer information in a standard format.
Resources for Students and Early-Career Scientists
- Ocean Summer Schools Portal
- POGO/SCOR Visiting Fellowships
- Nippon Foundation-POGO Centre for Excellence in Observational Oceanography
- POGO Fellowships for Research Cruise Training
- InterRidge Cruise Bursaries
- POGO Bursaries at the University of Cape Town
Resources for Scientists and Institutions
Resources for International Organizations
- Matrix of Capacity Development Approaches by International Organizations
- Web site for Ocean Science Capacity Building Summit 1 (Bremen, Germany)
- Web site for Ocean Science Capacity Building Summit 2 (Izmir, Turkey)
- Meeting on Capacity Building and Development for the Southern Africa Region (Henties Bay, Namibia)
- GRADUATE EDUCATION IN OCEANOGRAPHY IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES AS A MEANS TO UNDERSTAND GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEMS: The Results of a Team Residency at the Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Study Center August 26 – September 1 1998.
- Morrison. R.J., J. Zhang, E.R. Urban Jr., J. Hall, V. Ittekkot, B. Avril, L. Hu, G.H. Hong, S. Kidwai, C.B. Lange, V. Lobanov, J. Machiwa, M.L. San Diego-McGlone, T. Oguz, F.G. Plumley, T. Yeemin, W. Zhu, and F. Zuo. 2013. Developing human capital for successful implementation of international marine scientific research projects. Marine Pollution Bulletin 77:11-22.
- Urban, E.R. Jr., and R. Boscolo. 2013. Using scientific meetings to enhance the development of early career scientists. Oceanography, http://dx.doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2013.16.