- K.N. Federov (USSR)
- Other Full Members
- Thomas R. Osborn (USA), C. Cox (USA), C.H. Gibson (USA), J. Woods (FRG), Michael Gregg (USA), Christopher Garrett (Canada), J.S. Turner (Australia), R. Ozmidov (USSR), and S. Panchev (Bulgaria)
- Associate Members
- S.A. Thorpe (UK) and E. Schumann (South Africa)
- Terms of Reference
To review the results of in situ measurements of small-scale oceanic turbulence in the light of the design and performance of the instruments used.
To review conjectures relating various characteristics of the space-time distribution of small-scale turbulence in the ocean interior to specific sources of energy available there under various typical conditions of stratification and motion.
To consider the overall effects of small-scale turbulence on larger scale oceanic transports.
To design and encourage the implementation of experiments aimed at:
- comparing the performance of different instruments
- finding ways to remove instrumental bias
- providing statistically significant tests of the most plausible conjectures
To organize in 1983-84 an international symposium on the small-scale turbulence in the interior of the ocean and to publish a carefully edited book containing its proceedings.
- Financial Sponsors
Small-scale turbulence and mixing in the ocean: A glossary. In: Small-Scale Turbulence and Mixing in the Ocean, C. J. Nihoul and B. M. Jamart, editors, Elsevier Oceanography Series, 46, Elsevier, New York, pp.3-10, Elsevier. (1988)