SCOR Working Group 141
Co-chairs: Michael Cunliffe (UK) and Oliver Wurl (Germany)
Other Full Members: Anja Engel (Germany), Sanja Frka (Croatia), Sonia Giasenella (Brazil), Bill Landing (USA), Mohd T. Latif (Malaysia), Caroline Leck (Sweden), Gui-Peng Yang (China-Beijing), and Christopher Zappa (USA)
Associate Members: David Carlson (UK), Alina Ebling (USA), Werner Ekau (Germany), Blaženka Gašparović (Croatia), Karstan Laß (Germany), Miguel Leal (USA), Anna Lindroos (Finland), Kenneth Mopper (USA), Alexander Soloviev (USA), Christian Stolle (Germany), Robert Upstill-Goddard (UK), and Svein Vagle (Canada)
Terms of Reference
- Review sampling techniques and provide best practice sampling protocols. Such protocols will support new scientists entering the field of SML research to produce reliable and comparable data among different research groups/oceanic regions. The best practice sampling document will be made freely available online.
- Create a consensus definition of the SML in terms of physical, chemical and biological perspectives for a better understanding within the ocean science community, and discuss the SML’s role in a changing ocean. This will be delivered as an opinion/position paper in a peer-reviewed journal and will support future international projects concerning the SML and ocean change.
- Initiate sessions on SML research during major meetings (e.g., Ocean Sciences Meetings), to increase the awareness of the importance of the SML within the general ocean science community.
- Summarize and publish the latest advances in microlayer research in a special issue of a peer-reviewed journal, including consolidation of existing sea surface microlayer datasets among different disciplines (chemistry, biology, atmospheric, physics). The publication will promote new research ideas and projects at an interdisciplinary level.
Approved: October 2012
Financial Sponsors: NSF, SCOR
#1: 11 April 2013 in Vienna, Austria
#2: 14-17 October 2014 in Qingdao, China
#3: 24 February 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- Cunliffe, M. and O. Wurl. 2014. Guide to Best Practices to Study The Ocean's Surface
- Engel, A., H.W. Bange, M. Cunliffe, S.M. Burrows, G. Friedrichs, L. Galgani, H. Herrmann, N. Hertkorn, M. Johnson, P.S. Liss, P.K. Quinn, M. Schartau, A. Soloviev, C. Stolle, R.C. Upstill-Goddard, M. van Pinxteren, and B. Zäncker. 2017. The Ocean’s Vital Skin: Toward an Integrated Understanding of the Sea Surface Microlayer. Front. Mar. Sci. 4:165. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2017.00165.
- Wurl, O., W. Ekau, W.M. Landing, and C.J. Zappa. 2017. Sea surface microlayer in a changing ocean – A perspective. Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene 2017;5:31. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1525/elementa.228.
- R/V Falkor Cruise Log